Saddleworth Group of Artists was founded in 1950 by the watercolourist Ellis Shaw and friends. Originally based in the top floor of a house in Spring Street, Uppermill, they held talks and exhibitions. L.S. Lowry, a frequent visitor, had work in the group's Saddleworth Festival show in 1957. From 1979 to the present day exhibitions are held in the spacious art gallery in Saddleworth Museum. In addition popular social events including outdoor painting days are organised.